Monday, September 28, 2015

Checking the Temperature at home and around the Globe

2015 is proving to be the busiest year I've had in a long time. Kicking off with the release of Make It, Take It closely followed by my amazing trip to Austin, TX for QuiltCon2015 (and the amazing ribbon win!) where I invested in my own learning and creative growth, I returned home full of excitement and energy for quilting. Soon after, I participated in my first Quilt Market (and met some incredibly supportive friends and inspiring mentors).  I also had a fun couple of days right here in Vancouver at the wholesale show put on by N.Jefferson in July, teaching from my book and meeting shop owners, fellow teachers and visiting reps. In between and all around those industry/guild events I've been teaching my Temperature Check quilt using my Improv Under the Influence piecing technique.

Improv Under the Influence by Poppyprint
Temperature Check, shown at Canada's national juried show, 2014

When I first made this quilt a couple of years ago, I felt a little tingle of excitement, thinking that it could possibly be a door opener for me to start teaching my own technique and pattern, instead of teaching patterns designed by others (which I've been doing for 12 years).  I could NEVER have predicted how far that little quilt would take me...and in the space of of the 12 months of 2015, I'll have visited and taught for all of these groups in some amazing places:

And still to come, all before the end of November (gasp!)
Plus, I'm still working hard to promote my book locally and have done 6 trunk shows this month, with a couple more scheduled in November.  It has been wonderful having the support of all of the local traditional guilds, as well as my pals at the VMQG.

People keep asking me if I'm exhausted and I can truthfully say, no!  It is all so exciting and because teaching fulfils me in so many ways, every workshop just gives me more energy for the next. I may spend the month of December (fully clear calendar) in a coma cuddled under a quilt on my couch, but for now it's go, go, GO.  The best part truly, is meeting and spending time with so many wonderful, like-minded people. I love making new friends as much as I love travelling.

Speaking of which, if you live in the Lower Mainland area and haven't yet had a chance to take my Temperature Check class to learn a super fun improv piecing technique, you are invited to join me at the Seymour Quilter's Guild on Wednesday, October 14th from 9:30 - 3:30 on the North Shore. The cost is only $45 for non-guild members and there are a few spaces still available. I'll be fresh home from Sweden with stories to share about the Scandinavian quilting scene. Let me know in the comments if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with the workshop liaison (make sure you leave your email addy for me)


Improv Under the Influence workshop

Some fabulous student work from the Vancouver Modern Quilt Guild's Temperature Check workshop last year. 

Watch my Instagram for travel pictures from Sweden, or come back here in a couple of weeks for a photo essay of my trip. Because if you hang here, you know I like the travel pics ; )

Thanks friends.

14 comments:

Sandi said...

Wow! I'm exhausted just reading the list. Have a great time traveling, if I wasn't booked for a workshop already I'd come and join you. Maybe in the future.

Take lots of pictures okay!

Krista said...

Have a fantastic time in Sweden! I'm super jealous. Although your schedule gives me a bit of anxiety. I'm so glad you're having a great year!!!

Stina... said...

Wow..and wow again... And I'm so happy that I'm going to able to finally meet you and go your class!!! Yippie me!!
Sure can't wait until you touch North of Swedens ground... Hope Sweden can show you some great weather and that you will inspire and bring modern quilting to Sweden... I hope you realise you are on a mission!! ;0)))

Amy Friend said...

Wow, Sweden??? Have an amazing time!

SarahZ said...

Awesome! You go girl! It is so fun that a single quilt has opened up so many doors for you!!!!

DaisyLiz said...

It's fun to hear about your journey with this quilt! Travel safey and enjoy Sweden!

Carla said...

So exciting indeed! Enjoy the ride ; )

myBearpaw said...

yay! Go Krista!! See you in a few days!

karen @ badlandsquilts said...

Safe travels and have a wonderful time!

Dianne said...

Your passion and enthusiasm simply leap off the page in this post Krista. They are two of the qualities that make you such a great teacher. Have fun in Sweden! We are all looking forward to tales of your adventures upon your return.

Unknown said...

How inspiring to see all of the stunning quilts from your classes

momiji said...

Stockholm--how exciting! I'm sure you'll have a great, great time, and I'll look forward to reading your report of the trip.

Sandi said...

Wow! I can't wait until we can hear all about your adventures! Your post has inspired me to get moving on my projects. If you can accomplish all this I can at least have something to show when you return! Enjoy!

trudys_person said...

Can't wait to see lots of photos from Sweden and hear all about it! Enjoy! You earned it!